Thursday, November 8, 2007

Life List!

One of the things I’ve been slowly working on in my absence is some self-assessment, in hopes that it will help me figure out what I want to do with my life. I have made four pretty comprehensive lists: “Things I Like”, “Things I Don’t Like”, “Things I’m Relatively Good At”, and “Things I’m Relatively Bad At”. The lists are obviously not exhaustive. These are just the things that popped into my head quickly and which I felt were important enough to list. Also, for the most part, I tried to limit myself to things that might be relevant for choosing a career. For example, I like kissing the area where the neck meets the shoulder and collarbone, but that information wouldn’t help you help me find a career. So I left it out. So, I am hoping you will help me. I figure thousands of minds are better than one; you may see a career path based on this list that I haven’t thought of. Or you might know of a job I’ve never even heard of. Feel free to be as specific or general as you’d like. I will be grateful for anything you offer, but it would be especially helpful if you gave me a “because.” And if you think of something but have further questions, please ask! I will continue to add to the list as I think of things. For example, “Matt, maybe you should open a bed and breakfast. You like giving hospitality, you’re good at it, you like giving tours, and you like having friends from all over the place (and your guests will be from other places). You could fill it with antiques with historical connection to the area, which would enable you to indulge your interest in history, and in old stuff. You’re good at carrying a conversation, and that’s important for making guests feel at home. However, it might not be good to always have strangers in your house because you like solitude. Also, you’d have to run a business and you’re not good with money management.” Anyway, that’s just an idea of what could be really helpful to hear. Once I have some good ideas, I will probably post about some pros and cons of particular jobs that I’m interested in. Thank you in advance for your help!

No comments: